As and when technology has made developments, music also has followed suit. There are numerous kinds of music that have come about today because when a school of music springs up, several offshoots with slight differences arise as well. Each age and century has brought its own popular music and has left influences that were carried forth and molded to newer times. Almost all kinds of music have their roots in some earlier and more archaic melody.
While there are just too many genres of music to pin down in one place, here is a comprehensive list:
1) Hip-hop Music: Hip-hop music makes use of instruments like guitar, violin, fiddle, piano, bass and drums. In this music, the main instrument is the bass. This can be used in different intensities to emote feelings of anger, pride and others. It is the direct result of hip-hop culture that started from America and spread from there. It shows a heavy influence of Jamaican music. Its roots are found in African American and West African music.
2) Rock Music: This music genre originated in the rock and roll era of 1950s. The vocals are accompanied by the guitar, drum and bass. Some bands might even use the piano, synthesizer, saxophone, flute, mandolin and sitar for a deeper effect. Rock music has branched into many sub-groups like hard rock, progressive rock, and metal rock.
3) Classical Music: this music is an intricate form of music because it requires intense musical skills that involve like learning complex melodies and techniques, apart from the ability to coordinate with other musicians. One has to maintain the difficult relationship between its emotional flows and ebbs.
4) Metal Music: this music emerged after the Second World War. The melody of the song is heavily predisposed by the structure of the songs. In metal music, the central melody decides the structure of the song. It is also known as ‘information music.’
5) Jazz: Jazz comprises strong and complex rhythms. The major musical instruments used are the cornet, trumpet or violin. These help carry the melody. This is plenty of rhythm in this music it and possesses a forward momentum called “swing”. However, in this genre, the skilled performer is allowed to interpret a tune in his own unique way.
6) Opera Music: Opera music first appeared in the 1600’s in Italy. It is notable for the combination of theatrical art and musical invention. It is created to be played in the theaters, in particular. Its charming orchestral accompaniment forms part of its great attraction. The preludes and interludes of this music set the tone for the action on the stage.
7) Techno Music: it is also as fusion music. It became popular towards mid 1980s. It is a kind of electronic dance music and is founded upon African- American music styles like funk, electro, and electric jazz. It is characterized by fast beats.
Trance Music: This type of music is usually played in clubs and discos. It emerged in the 20th century. This music is identified by fast tempo and repetitious beats of the percussion. It has a hypnotic effect on listeners for which it is very popular.